Unlock Blackberry Phones
The short of it is, Carriers like AT&T and T-Mobil “Lock” their phones to their network, to prevent you from switching between them.
By unlocking your phone, you can freely use a sim card from AT&T, T-Mobile or any other carrier that uses SIMM cards. (Carriers like Verizon don’t use SIMM cards, so those won’t work)
So let’s get her done!
First you need an unlock code. You can ask your carrier for an unlock code for your Blackberry and guess what, they do it for it Absolutely FREE. but there is a catch, before they will give you an unlock code they say that you have to be under the contract for at least 90 days (3 months) before they can give you the unlock code. So, I would recommend that you wait for the 3 months before calling up customer service and trying to get your unlock codes.
How To Enter the Unlock Codes on a BlackBerry: All BlackBerry Models (except T-mobile)
- Go to the Settings Menu -> SIM card and press select.
- Holding the SHIFT key, type MEPD or (MEPPD for Vodafone Handsets)
- You should now see the five locking categories listed.
- While holding the SHIFT KEY, type MEP2 or (MEPP2 for Vodafone handsets)
- Release the shift key.
- You are now prompted to enter the Network MEP code (it will also state how many attempts left)
- Enter the code
- Enter Return/Enter
- The device should then be unlocked
Model : T-mobile BlackBerry Models
- On the Home screen, click the Tools icon. The Options screen appears.
- In the tools screen, select the Settings icon.
- Scroll to SIM Card and select it. You should see the phone number and the SIM ID number.
- Type ‘mepd’ to display the first five levels of SIM locking.
T-Mobile uses network locking so the Network should display Active. All other states should display Disabled
Please note: For the Blackberry 7100t you will hit the “P” twice when entering the ‘mepd’ and ‘mep2′ for steps 4 & 5.
- Type ‘mep2′ to display the dialog box asking for the unlock code (Press the Alt + 2 key to get the number 2)
- Input the Network Unlock code
- Press ENTER and reboot handheld.
Model : BlackBerry Pearl 8100 (If above instructions do not work)
- While on the home screen, click the “blackberry key” on keyboard, then select “options”.
- Choose “Advanced Options”.
- Select “Sim Card”
- There is no area to type these letters, you just type them as instructed. No need to hit keys twice to get a letter either. Type m e p p d to display the first five levels of SIM locking. Most companies use network locking so the Network should display Active. All other states should display Disabled ( you will not see text appear on screen while typing )
- Type m e p p 2 to display the dialog box asking for the unlock code (Press the Alt + 2 key to get the number 2) ( you will not see text appear on screen while typing )
- Input the SIM Unlock code
- Press in the trackball in once